Monday, April 1, 2013

April, the Month of the Cold Shower: Day 1

April 1, 2013

Day 1 of my 30-day cold water shower challenge.  I was manager on duty for the evening shift at work, so I was able to take my time in the morning, drop my daughter off at pre-school, have a cup of coffee with my wife, and then begin my challenge, so it was about 9:30am when I started to get ready.  The sunshine was coming in through the bedroom (our bathroom is an inner room without any windows), so I left the lights off in the bathroom and walked into the shower.

I stared up at the showerhead, remembering the showers at summer camp, and thought to myself, "I could do this back in the day, I can do it now, here we go!"  I turned the water on and presented my heart to the cascade of frigid water and yelped with the first burst.  It was a shock!  I didn't remember the showers at camp being that cold!  All of this corporate work must have made me soft.

My entire shower must have lasted only a minute or so, as I showered as fast as I could to get out.  This led me to my first conclusion about cold showers:

Conclusion #1: Cold showers save time.

I was able to get completely clean (shampoo, conditioner, soap, and face wash) in less time than it takes to brush your teeth.  I read somewhere that the average shower takes 10-15 minutes, so I now added an extra 9-14 minutes to my day.  That's about 1-1.5 hours extra per week, or 54-85 hours of extra time every year!

No comments:

Post a Comment