Monday, September 12, 2011

Wine Tasting Notes - Racha Malbec 2010 (Argentina)

So, I am not an expert at wine by any means!  I just know what I like and what I don't like.  This is my very first attempt at writing a review.

I had been reading about how wonderful Malbec is and since I had never tried one before, I decided to pick up a bottle on Friday.  After baby was asleep, we sat down, opened up the rest of the brie, and uncorked the Malbec.

As I poured the wine I was struck by the dark, opaque, brick-red color as it filled the glass.  Where the wine touched the glass, there was a faint gray hue that had a nice appeal to it.

A quick swirl and sniff released a deep, rich aroma that smelled of damp earth and wood with an air of spice definitely in the forefront (possibly nutmeg and cinnamon).  There was also a bit of a darker scent in the glass that reminded me faintly of tobacco leaves.  The scent intrigued me so much that I took another deep smell to make sure that I didn't miss anything.

On first taste, the sensation that reached me the strongest was the suppleness of this wine.  It is thick in the mouth and has a pronounced weight to it.  The tannins most likely caused this attribute, and it is a good, dry sensation that remains.  Cherry and blackberry flavors burst on the palate with all of the spice that the aroma promised.  The aftertaste carried a unique flavor that was more on the woody side that was a joy to savor.

This wine is definitely a sipper.  We drank slowly and enjoyed the brie on water crackers, this delicious Malbec, a long conversation, and a cool September night creeping through the window.

Notes from the vintner:

RACHA MALBEC
This estate grown and bottled Malbec gets the majority of its fruit from Luján de Cuyo in the Vistabla district. We blend in fruit from higher elevations in Consuelo to add to the complexity of the wine. This dark ruby colored wine has an alluring bouquet of cedar, fresh red cherry, and cigar box. On the palate it is a bold Malbec with a smooth texture, ripe fruit flavors, and no hard edges. This wine was aged for 12 months in American and French Oak barrels.

No comments:

Post a Comment