Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Thoughts IV

Well, EPIK is now hiring for Spring 2012.  If I get a good start on my documents now and start the application process, I could begin teaching in a public school in March.  After my reading, I think I've decided that public schools will be the best fit for me, but there are several points about the hagwon setting that I like.  I've come up with a few pros and cons to mull around while I start gathering my papers together.

Public Schools
Pros:
-Regular work hours / schedule
-Stable employer
-Respectful work environment
-Good vacation time

Cons:
-Ok pay
-Longer workdays

Hagwons (Private Academies)
Pros:
-Flexible work schedule
-Lots of prep time built into schedule
-Higher pay

Cons:
-Less stable work environment
-Small class sizes (I would prefer larger classes!)
-Hours can sometimes be wierd (split shifts, late nights, etc.)

All things considered, I think that the EPIK program would be best.  More updates to follow.

1 comment:

  1. Woah there! Public schools can be a pill too. Both school environments are a luck of the draw. The thing is you have to be prepared for the Korean work environment. If you work at a public school you will work closely with Korean staff so you need to be ready for cultural differences.

    Anyways it really comes down to work hours and vacation and Public school is so much better :)

    ReplyDelete