Monday, December 10, 2012

Wine Tasting Notes - Casillero del Diablo Carmenere (Chile, 2011)

Wine Tasting Notes - Casillero del Diablo Carmenere (Chile, 2011)

This past Friday, my wife sent me out to pick up a bottle of sangria to celebrate the end of a long and busy week.  While I was at the bottle shop, I saw an endcap display with the Casillero del Diablo Carmenere on sale for $6.99.  The staff notes on the display looked promising, so I decided to give this wine a try.

The color is a dark red, almost purple hue with a brilliant shine on the edge right where the liquid touches the glass.  I'm not quite sure if there is an official term for this, but it had a beautiful color to it.

I gave it a brief swirl and breathed in deep to savor the aroma.  Ripe berries, plums, and a smoky, roasted flavor drifted up to my delight.  On the backside, I smelled earth and leather.

On first sip, I tasted dark berries and black pepper with soft tannins.  The finish is long and intense, highlighting the earthy taste of wet leaves and rich, dark chocolate.  The acidic qualities linger throughout the finish and I am suddenly reflective of the last two months, reminiscing of autumn, contemplating the coming winter, and savoring the moment.

This was an excellent wine that I enjoyed with kimchi soup that my wife made.

http://www.casillerodeldiablo.com/minisitios/productos_en/reserva/home.php

No comments:

Post a Comment