Friday, August 31, 2012

Wine Tasting Notes - Skouras Saint George Nemea Aghiorghitiko 2008 (Greece)

Wine Tasting Notes - Skouras Saint George Nemea Aghiorghitiko 2008 (Greece)

Well, it is time for another wine review!  Several months ago, my wife and I had some friends over for dinner- another Korean/American family.  Their daughter likes to play with our daughter and we always have a lot of fun together.  We had this wine for the occasion.

I had never tried a Greek wine before and I was super curious about what Greek wines are like.  I had been saving this bottle for a few months and was excited to crack it open with our friends.  This wine has a deep red color with a bit of a shine to it.  When pouring this wine into the glass, it explodes with aromas of spice and dark red fruits.  There is also a hint of smoke that brings the fruit and spice aromas together.

When it first hits the palate, this wine as a very soft, silken texture that is a delight.  The acid and tannin content is present, but not overbearing; personally, I enjoy the texture of tannins and I found this wine to have a supple amount that was pleasing on the tongue.  The raspberry and blackberry flavors that the aroma promised along with a touch of the spices are in the forefront of the flavor of this wine with a deeper, earthy base that came as somewhat of a surprise to me, as I did not detect this when I sniffed the wine.  After researching this wine a little bit, I found that the Aghiorghitiko varietal grows in clay soil, so this must have crept its way into the flavor of the grape.  The finish is long and satisfying with the spice and smoke aromas and flavors mellowing into a mild black pepper note.

We couldn't believe how much we enjoyed this wine!  All of us commented on how wonderfully smooth it was to drink and how excellent the taste was!  Even into the second glass, the taste continued to grow on us and it was our favorite wine of the evening.  The Saint George Nemea Aghiorghitiko is a hidden gem among the wines that are available.  I've only been able to find it since then in larger warehouse-style liquor stores next to the Italian aisle.

http://www.skouraswines.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment