Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Thoughts III - 10 Reasons I Should Teach in Korea

The more I read about foreign teachers living and working in Korea by teaching English, the more interested I become.  I think that this would really be an excellent opportunity to transition into Korea.  Truth be told, I would rather raise my daughter there so she can grow up Korean with a much better education than she could receive here.  I've subscribed to a couple of blogs written by Westerners teaching in the Land of the Morning Calm to learn about their experiences, trials, tribulations, and all that comes along with being an English teacher in a foreign country.

So, I've put together a Top 10 of the reasons to seize this chance.  I actually have to limit it to only ten, since I can think of dozens of great things that could come from this.

1. Family.  I think that it will be a better place to raise my family and I can be close to my Korean in-laws at the same time.
2. Future.  After learning Korean, I can seek employment in my current industry or I can continue teaching English.  I can actually see a future in the growing and booming economy in Korea; but, I can't say the same for here.
3. Finances.  With rent being covered by the school, we can save for the future or just live better in general.  Here, rent is sucking us dry and wiping out any chance of owning our own house- no way to save anything here.  Korean taxes are low.  Health insurance is cheap and good.
4. Food.  I love Korean food.  All of it- except for fish cakes.  Korean cuisine is healthy and delicious.  I won't miss much American food except for turkey dinner.
5. Fantastic [weather].  The weather in Korea seems a lot like where I am from in the US, not where I am currently living.  Korea has four definite seasons.
6. Fabulous [culture].  I am enthralled with all things Korean.  Dehanmingukul neomu sarangheyo!
7. For my wife.  She will have an easier time gaining employment in Korea than here in the US.
8. Fun.  There is an amazing amount of incredible things to do in Korea.
9. Flights.  It is close to many other Asian countries for vacationing (Japan, Thailand, etc.).
10. Foreign (for me).  Korea is so different than the US that everything is amazing and new, fresh, and exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment